Potential Christians

Recently, a very wise individual referred to himself as a “potential Christian” in a conversation. I was struck by the profundity of viewing ourselves in this way.  How many of us live our lives this way?  I often wrestle with feeling that if I had more time, I’d spend way more time studying Scripture, and various other similar ways of thinking.  There’s often times simply potential Christianity within my heart, not full blown Bible-believing, Jesus-loving, gospel-preaching Christianity.  And yet, the reality is that Jesus has come specifically for those of us who can’t quite seem to figure it out, turn our lives around, and live rightly.

If that’s you, then take heart, friend. First of all, you are not alone, as evidenced by the fact that you’re reading an article like this one. Secondly,  in Mark 2:17, Jesus says, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.”  There is much comfort and even grace that comes with acknowledging that we are not nearly who we should be and want to be, because in doing so we fit the description of the low-down sinners that Jesus came for.   But the best thing about acknowledging that we are nothing more than potential Christians is that we get to see Jesus for all of who he is, because his strength is made perfect in weakness.