You Stay Classy, OKWU

Stay Classy OKWU
Stay Classy, OKWU: A tribute and a thank you. Image via Thrive.

On May 10, 2014, I will graduate from Oklahoma Wesleyan University with a degree in Communication.  My time here has been somewhat brief.  I spent one semester at OKWU my freshman year, transferred for the following 5 semesters, and then returned to complete my senior year.  However, my mind and heart never left.  With this being my final article for The Eagle and graduation fast approaching, I wanted to take this opportunity to say thank you to OKWU.  Here’s a list of things I am thankful for here at our university:

• I met my fiancée here.  This place will always be special to me because of that.
  • I have developed lifelong, family level relationships with several people who I’ve met in my time here.
  • OKWU is a place that values the primacy of Christ, the priority of Scripture, the pursuit of truth, and the practice of wisdom.  These are all highly valuable things, and I am thankful for the emphasis placed on them.
  • OKWU provided me with the opportunity to compete in intercollegiate athletics, where I learned things I would not have otherwise.
  • The professors at OKWU are a special group of people. I have had some truly amazing individuals as professors here. Thank you, faculty, for your commitment to your students.
  • OKWU has helped me in my spiritual growth.  Through chapels, classes, and the overall culture on campus, I have been forced to examine myself, my beliefs, and the implications of my beliefs.  After attending OKWU, I have a deeper relationship with Jesus.  That may not be the case for all.  Regardless, I am thankful.

I could add many things to this list, but for the sake of brevity I will not.  Thanks, OKWU, for the memories, and the opportunity to get a college degree.  If you are a current  student at OKWU, I hope that you continually recognize that God’s grace surrounds you here.  From the awesome new business building and Communication lab, to the hilarious Gus Bucklesby videos, even to small things such as being able to check out and use a MacBook in the library, God has been gracious to many here at OKWU.  As we approach finals and summer, let’s thank God for our school.  Here’s to you, Oklahoma Wesleyan University.  Stay classy.