Got Talent? Collin Berg Photography Showcase

collin bergCollin Berg is a Senior Communications major born and raised on the plains of South Dakota. His mother was an art teacher and father a math teacher while he grew up. Their left and right brains both influenced him creatively to explore mathematical and structured art. He loves seeing the order and majesty that lies underneath plants, waterfalls, and structures. The Eagle caught up with him just before he heads off into the world beyond OKWU.

"This is Jenny Lake, in The Grand Tetons. I wanted to get down close to the water to let the mountains fill the  the picture and seem large but distant, with the water crashing in making the picture seem active and alive." -Collin
“This is Jenny Lake, in The Grand Tetons. I wanted to get down close to the water to let the mountains fill the the picture and seem large but distant, with the water crashing in making the picture seem active and alive.” -Collin

Eagle: What sparked your interest in photography?

I got into photography by chance, I originally got my camera to do Videography. I started shooting with it after I got it and I ended up with 15,000 photos after a year.

"The Snake River that lies at the feet of Mount Moran is one of the most iconic settings in all of nature photography. It was surreal to be there and photograph something I’d seen on the most popular blogs and magazines."
“The Snake River that lies at the feet of Mount Moran is one of the most iconic settings in all of nature photography. It was surreal to be there and photograph something I’d seen on the most popular blogs and magazines.”

Eagle: What is your favorite thing about your process of creating art?

Going out and shooting is always great. Learning to be in the moment, then capture it for later, rather than shooting right away made me appreciate life a lot more.

hong-kong-panorama
“This was a 5-picture panorama I took while on the back of a ferry. On the left is Kowloon, the tip of china and a district of Hong Kong, the right is Hong Kong island. The hardest part of taking pictures in Hong Kong was dealing with the ever present smog, that desaturated and blurred almost any long distance shot.”

Eagle: The hardest part?

Lighting and color. Getting that perfect about of color and light to create the perfect mood.

spanish-peaks-bozeman
“I spent a summer In Bozeman, MT. The small city was surrounded on all four sides by these 10K ft mountain ranges that even had snow on some of them through July. This shot is of the Spanish Peaks, bordering the southern edge of Bozeman. I shot in B and W to emphasize the snow and size of the mountains.” -Collin
bozeman from trail
“I shot this photo above Bozeman while I was on a short day trail. The mountain range in the back is the same Spanish Peaks.” -Collin

Eagle: What is the most favorite work you have done?

One of my shots was on the front page of the Bartlesville Examiner. It’s hard to choose a favorite shot when you’ve taken 20-30 thousand. Right now it may be one of my pictures from Hong Kong.

"All three buildings in this shot are apartment complexes. While in Hong Kong, we visited all sorts of districts, ranging from rich European Vacations, the Chinese businesses, to poor fisher villages. I like this shot because it helps capture the wide range of living conditions that make up the City, the grungy small apartments barely larger then Wesley Hall, to the Condos that cast a shadow over them." -Collin
“All three buildings in this shot are apartment complexes. While in Hong Kong, we visited all sorts of districts, ranging from rich European Vacations, the Chinese businesses, to poor fisher villages. I like this shot because it helps capture the wide range of living conditions that make up the City, the grungy small apartments barely larger than Wesley Hall, to the Condos that cast a shadow over them.” -Collin

About the cover photo: “This was a quick grab as we left the Tetons. The sunset that day was spectacular.” -Collin