Student profile: Alejandra Rivas

Alejandra Rivas is a junior majoring in Elementary Education and minoring in Youth Ministry. She talked with the Eagle about what it’s like balancing between the life of a student and the life of an athlete:

Eagle: Why did you choose your major? 

Alejandra: When I graduated high school I went to an internship for the whole summer and worked with kids, and I realized I really liked working with them. I want to help them in every possible way, [I realized] I also have a heart for mission trips.

Since I speak Spanish and English I would like to go to places where I can help translate and be able to connect even more [people] like I did during my Guatemala mission trip.

Eagle: What do you see yourself doing in five years? What are you passionate about?

Alejandra: I see myself being a teacher wherever I live and using my summers to go on mission trips and teaching kids in other countries. Since I was in middle school, I’ve always wanted to go on a mission trip and this past summer I was able to go to Guatemala. That mission trip just reaffirmed my passion for mission trips. I want to keep doing it and be able to help kids around the world. Since I speak Spanish and English I would like to go to places where I can help translate and be able to connect even more [people] like I did during my Guatemala mission trip.

Alejandra Rivas volleyball OKWU
Alejandra blocks an opponents attack during a game at OKWU. (Photo courtesy of Alejandra Rivas)

Eagle: How long have you been playing volleyball? Can you tell OKWU about any significant experiences you’ve had while playing volleyball for OKWU?  

Alejandra: I have been playing volleyball since I was 6 years old. One of my favorite memories is when we played against Sterling here at OKWU, That was one of the most exciting games we’ve played here because the OKWU community was really loud and supportive at that game. The gymnasium was almost full of people just cheering for us.

Alejandra Rivas volleyball
Alejandra Rivas represents OKWU volleyball at a home game. (Photo courtesy of Alejandra Rivas)

Eagle: What is it like trying to balance being a student athlete with being a student? 

Alejandra: It is very frustrating at times (most of the time) but you just have to get used to it and work at it. I’ve been doing it since elementary school so I’m used to it. If we are passionate about the sport that we play we have to sacrifice a lot of time and we have to learn to manage our time which is difficult at times but at the end [of the day] it’s all worth it. We also have to have good communication with our professors and classmates to be able to be successful.

Eagle: Do you have any advice for students who are also athletes who are trying to figure out how to balance being a student and being an athlete? 

Alejandra: Try to do as much school work possible in breaks or free days. Just enjoy it and it will be easier. Everything that is worth [effort] takes time, patience and hard work.

Show your support for Alejandra and the rest of the OKWU volleyball team! The next home game will be on October 21st at 6;00pm, when OKWU will be playing Central Christian College of Kansas.