Student Profile: Andy Carroll

Recently, the Eagle sat down with senior Accounting major, Andrew “Andy” Carroll. Here is a little glimpse into the time he’s spent at OKWU.

Eagle: Where are you from and how did you hear about OKWU?

Andy: I am from Mustang, Oklahoma. I heard about Oklahoma Wesleyan from my mom. She grew up in Bartlesville, and mentioned there was a college here. When applying to colleges, Oklahoma Wesleyan was not the only option I was looking at. I was also looking into Oklahoma University and Oklahoma State University. For my freshman year in college, I went to Oklahoma Baptist University but then I transferred to Oklahoma Wesleyan in my sophomore year. My decision to come to OKWU was made because I met with one of the finance professors and it was great.  I knew I wanted to major in accounting or finance and I heard the business program was good here, but I didn’t know it was this good. Another benefit for going to OKWU is I am able to save money because I live with my grandparents and I truly felt God was calling me here.

Eagle: Where did your love of business start?

Andy: It’s hard to tell where my love for business started. I think it is because I really enjoyed personal finance class in high school. I liked learning about money, budgets, saving, investing, etc. I had a great teacher.

Eagle: You are currently engaged to Alivia Koons; where did you two first meet?

Andy: We had a class together, but it wasn’t until game night when we met and her friend introduced us. The following week, Alivia texted me asking if we could have game night at her house and said her father was grilling steaks, and I said yes. From then on, we had game night at her house and the more I got to know her, the more I started to like her. Also, the more I started to get to know her family I could see they presented themselves as a Godly family. But, if you ask Alivia, she would say the first time we met was at the Woolaroc 8K road race. She was a race volunteer and at the end of the race, she was helping me cut off my tag on my shoe. I had just run really hard and won the race, and felt like I had to go throw up. I never noticed her at all, but she always remembers that day.

andy and alivia run
Andy and Alivia share a love of running

Eagle: Did you know right away that she was the one?

Andy: Not really, but I did know she was the most special woman I had ever met.

Eagle: What has been the hardest lesson you have had to learn in your four years of college?

Andy: In freshman year I was at Oklahoma Baptist and I slacked off a lot. I was on the cross country team and I never studied.  I didn’t make good use of my time and I was a slacker. When I came to OKWU, I knew I had to work extremely hard. I had to mature and grow up. I had to not take school for granted. There are a lot of opportunities out there, in order to achieve them I had to go above and beyond. Any student can be successful, it just depends on how long they study and put their hard work into it. In freshman year, I barely made a 3.0 and from then on I have made 4.0’s.

Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 11.36.12 AM
Professor Jackson

Eagle: What has been your favorite memory of OKWU? What will you take away from these experiences?

Andy: From school there are two things. The first is seeing how much the business professors care about your education and you as a student. How much they were willing to do for me. The last thing is all the networking connections the business department has. There are amazing connections.  Now, of the course the greatest memory I have is that I will have a wife and she is incredible and we will have ten kids… (J.K.)

Eagle: Do you have a favorite professor? Who and Why?

Andy: My favorite professor by far is Kirk Jackson. He is my favorite professor because, 1) he wants me to succeed in life and outside of college and 2) he wants a relationship with me. In the classroom he’s so personal and he will go absolutely out of his way to help me or other students.

Eagle: Do you have a favorite scripture?

Andy: Habakkuk 3:16-19:

“I heard and my heart pounded, my lips quivered at the sound; decay crept into my bones, and my legs trembled. Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity to come on the nation invading us. Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in god my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights.”

I like it because though everything is looking down; there’s no food, things, resources, yet no matter what circumstance we are in, we have the Lord, and we should rejoice no matter what. Our joy is not circumstantial.

Eagle: What are some of your dreams and hopes for the future?

Andy: I want to be a money manager and eventually be my own manager. I will be working for Kevin Freeman; he works for his own management company and he says: “Where your treasure is there your heart will be also.” A lot of people put their treasures in money and I am going to try and be right at the throne room of their heart. It opens a way for me to introduce Christ.  In the end, I want to help people with their finances, and ultimately use my passion of finance to point them toward God.

andy and alivia at OKWU
Andy and Alivia here at OKWU (Photo Courtesy of Andy Carroll)