written by: Jessie Sabin
Food is a major part of a college student’s life—from breakfast to the late night study snack. So let’s face the facts here. When it is a late study night and nothing is open or the motivation to go outside to grab some grub is not there, it can be a little bit of a problem. This is something that can be remedied pretty quickly within the dorm room with the help of a lovely appliance known as the microwave. Oh, the microwave: an appliance that allows foods such as popcorn and ramen to be easily prepared for consumption—the perfect invention for the broke college student.
Sure, it is great to heat up the leftovers from home or even a TV dinner one has managed to purchase on a limited college budget, but sometimes the hungry college student may want something a little different to snack on. Here are a couple recipes that will allow for a break from the ramen noodles and add a little variety to the munchies of nighttime studying.
The first recipe is a quick and healthy meal of a delicious bowl of fried rice. Granted, it is not truly fried, as a stove and a skillet are not required for the dish—much to the lament of any Tangled fans! However, it still has the same delicious flavor that is associated with a traditional dish of fried rice.
Many college students have a sweet tooth, so it is no shocker that the second recipe is filled with chocolate. A simple chocolate mug cake can satisfy one’s sweet tooth without making him leave the comfort of his dorm room. To cake on the appeal of this chocolaty treat, it can either be a snack or a dessert.
Ø ½ cup rice
Ø 1 cup water
Ø 2 eggs
Ø Pinch of salt
Ø 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
Ø ½ cup frozen peas and carrots
- Combine rice, water, and soy sauce in a microwave safe bowl. Stir, and then microwave 6–8 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked.
- Mix frozen peas and carrots into rice, and microwave rice for another 1–2 minutes.
- Beat eggs in a microwavable mug then add salt, and microwave for 1–2 minutes.
- Break up egg with fork, and then mix with rice.
Chocolate Mug Cake
Ø 3 tablespoons all–purpose flour
Ø 3 tablespoons sugar
Ø 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
Ø Pinch of salt
Ø 3 tablespoons milk
Ø 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Ø Splash of vanilla extract
Ø 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
- Using a microwave safe mug, place flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in, and mix.
- Add milk, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil, and blend till mixture is smooth in texture.
- Add chocolate chips (optional).
- Microwave on high for 90 seconds, and let cool for 2–3 minutes before consuming.